Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Will work for food



I was speaking with one of my colleagues earlier today about his transition to the next project. We were talking about the gap of time from one project to the next and discussing ideas of what he could do while he waits (In his situation it’s a three month gap before the next project begins). What amazed me was his position on waiting. He said “I want to work, I don’t want to sit idle”. He continued by adding “it doesn’t matter about the wage, that’s not what’s important, just get me on anything”.

His idea of keeping busy, didn’t sound like someone who’s addicted to work, but more of someone who prides himself on helping where he can. It’s a kind of wisdom that goes beyond the day to day grind. For me, it was a reminder that there are some things more important than money. Maybe its opportunity, maybe it’s a way to stay sharp, or maybe it’s a way to avoid boredom. In any case, I agree with his perspective. We all need to contribute to something and avoid getting caught up in the ‘what’s in it for me’ ideology.

Author: Dr. Eduardo Diaz, helping you exceed expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment